Major Beliefs Day 33- “The Full Armor” (Ephesians 6)
Ephesians 6: 11 -” Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.”
Our church recently began a self defense class and just last week we offered a ladies self-defense seminar. It seems hard to believe but its very important to know how to protect yourself in the world we live in. People are always coming up with new ways to “steal, kill, and destroy,” inspired of course by the very one who started it all in the garden of Eden. Because of that I believe its important to know how to protect yourself and your family.
As important as that is however it is infinitely more important to be able to protect yourself and your loved ones from the attacks of the devil. The Bible makes it abundantly clear that he is like a roaring lion roaming around seeking someone to devour. He is looking for those opportune times to lead us into temptation and sin. So what do we do? We realize the seriousness of his attacks and we do as Paul says here, and we put on the full armor of God. We take up the:
* the belt of truth(dwelling on the truth of the word of God).
*the breastplate of righteousness (which has to be Jesus’ righteousness imputed to us, since we aren’t righteous on our own, see 2 Corinthians 5: 21)
* the shoes of the gospel of peace ( remembering daily Jesus’ sacrifice for us on the cross and being ready to share that Good news with other people)
* the shield of faith (knowing that Jesus “is our refuge and strength, “that He is our hiding place)
* the helmet of salvation ( remembering again the Gospel, and what Jesus accomplished for us in giving us salvation. Keeping this wonderful truth always on our minds and being continually thankful for it)
* and finally taking up the of the sword of the Spirit (knowing and using the word of God and letting it be applied to our lives daily).
If we do those things AND we humble ourselves before God in prayer each day we will be able to Stand Strong against all the temptations of the evil one. God is good and thankfully even though life can be hard and temptations abound we don’t face them alone , God goes with us promising to never leave us or forsake us. To God be the glory!